Monday, November 29, 2010

Evaluating My GAME Plan Progress Week 5 (EDUC-6713I-6)

I have seen considerable progress during the past week. A goal I am working towards involves Performance Indicator #1 Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity in my classroom. I have come to realize that my classroom is the perfect setting to achieve this goal. Several of the lessons culminate with the creation of an artifact. Wood shop we build small scale bridges, in graphic design class the finished product is a mouse pad the students design and print themselves. Students are motivated to complete the projects which results in an increase of learning. I am still considering how to best determine the forming of groups for the wood shop projects.

I have learned how valuable and important it is to create a real life situation which my students view as important. This has helped keep my classes focused as well as enthusiastic about the projects we are working on. For example: students are much more motivated to learn the graphic design program I teach when they realize the end result is a mouse pad they will design and take home. Dr Ertmer notes some of the characteristics of PBL as:
1) Allowing students to collaborate with each other.
2) Students become self directed.
3) Final outcome is the creation of an artifact.
Problem based learning is another instructional approach which is well suited for my classroom. It actually makes the lessons more enjoyable for everyone!

I am still looking into a way to incorporate an electronic portfolio project in to my lesson plans. My goal is to have students start the project in grade six and continue to update their progress through grade eight. I have started to discuss the possibility of having this be a project which spans across several content areas.
I am also planning on using Microsoft Word as a tool to create an artifact. I believe note taking is a very valuable learning tool providing it is not over used. Beecher (1998) notes: “There is growing evidence that note-taking combined with critical thinking facilitates retention and applications of the information.” I believe this activity will set the foundation for productive inquiry by my students.

One of my obstacles is the time factor, or the lack of time. When I create a new lesson another one must be removed. Modification of lessons is the best answer; however, I do see myself removing some lessons from my current plan. It is a case of streamlining my units to make the most of the limited time (90 minutes per week) I have with each student.

References:
Beecher, J. (1988) ERIC Clearinghouse on Reading, English, and Communication Digest #37 http://www.indiana.edu/~reading/ieo/digests/d37.html*

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). “Spotlight on Technology: Problem-Based Learning, Part 1” [Educational video]. Baltimore: Author.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). “Spotlight on Technology: Problem-Based Learning, Part 2” [Educational video]. Baltimore: Author.

4 comments:

  1. John,
    Your ideas are very creative. I also believe that "real life" or authentic lessons are the ones the students become more engaged with.

    Have you used google docs? http://docs.google.com/demo/edit?id=scAAsLsvxRPQ4AsY1hzNwBkkd&dt=document#documentStudents are able to save products and documents and retrieve anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My last position that I had I taught sixth, seventh, and eighth grade and students stayed with me for each year. This year I am just teaching sixth grade. I miss having my students loop up with me. Since in my state the only middle school grade tested in science is the eighth grade, I now will miss the tangable knowledge of how effective I have been for students the past three years. So much can be accomplished and I think that your use of electronic portfolios would be excellent in your class.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,

    It sounds like you are "staging activities" by showing and/or explaining what the students final product will be to motivate them. Ertmer and Simons states that this technique sparks students interest in the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John,
    I am doing spaghetti towers in my class right now and you are right that students need something that is a real life application in order for students to work well solve problems to activities.

    ReplyDelete