Monday, December 13, 2010

Game Plan Process: Proficiency in NETS-S (WEEK 7)

I believe that there are steps or a process to achieving a goal, and the first step is to identify the goal. The GAME plan process is a way of identifying a goal and then setting the plan in motion to achieve it. The first performance indicator or goal I chose to focus on for improvement is: Indicator #1 Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity. Soon after identifying this goal I began creating lesson plans designed to achieve the goal.

The lesson on bridge design encourages students to consider; what I have taught them, what they believe is true, and through collaboration what others know on this topic. With my guidance they will use critical thinking and problem solving skills to form their own opinion. I am trying to create lifelong learners who consider the information they have and form a conclusion based on higher order thinking skills.

The use of technology has been integrated into my lessons in productive ways. Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer (2010) have noted that: “technology is well suited to supporting problem-based and inquiry learning approaches ”(p.271). The use of blogs and power point presentations for communicating ideas is an example of this. The lesson also requires students to demonstrate their creativity through the creation of an artifact; the balsa wood bridge.

My evaluation of students is designed as a way of enhancing the learning process, not just to assign a grade. Kuhlthau, Maniotes, & Caspari (2007) have noted that: “assessment is part of the learning process, not just an evaluation tool”(p.116). This has been an important adjustment to my GAME plan and will continue to be a consideration when creating future lessons.

References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2010). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

Kuhlthau, C. C., Maniotes, L. K., & Caspari, A. K. (2007). Guided inquiry: Learning in the 21st century. Westport: Libraries Unlimited.

3 comments:

  1. John,
    Collaboration is a powerful tool. Students benefit by the diverse learning styles and experiences of each person in their group. As an educator, I always benefit from the collaboration of my peers. This class has allowed me the opportunity to work with educators with different expertise and teaching opportunities. I have truly enjoyed reading your bridge building lesson plan. I would love to see some of the final products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,
    It sounds as if you are using your GAME plan in all of the right ways, specifically to help your students to become engaged in learning. It can be a difficult endeavor, especially in public education. Your classes seem interesting and you sound like you really care about your students and what they learn. Believe me, that is half of the battle. Students do learn in diverse ways and I have found that most of these online classes have helped me to improve my teaching style as well. Technology can instill fear or it can inspire. It seems to me that you are inspired to teach and you welcome change. Good luck with all of your future classes.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,
    Students setting goals and achieving them by setting a plan in motion develops critical thinking skills that will prepare students for the real world. Your plan allows them to view challenges and formulate strategies that will solve problems. The dedication you have to instill the value of life-long learning illustrates you're passion for the teaching profession. Good luck with all of your goals, it sounds like you have built a solid foundation.

    ReplyDelete