Monday, December 20, 2010

My Final Blog Post EDUC-6713I-6 (Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas)

While reviewing the evolution of my GAME plan I noticed a progression towards a more organized set of goals. In order to achieve a goal it must first be clearly defined. My GAME plan has helped me to become more organized and identify the areas I would like to improve upon. I saw my plan progress from a rough draft which consisted of several basic ideas to a refined plan that focuses on specific goals. As my GAME plan progressed I also began to reevaluate the way I currently run my classroom. For example: I have been reminded that there is more to assessment then simply generating grades. Cennamon, Ross, and Ertmer (2010) describe assessment as “doing more than just determining grades; it is information that can be used to inform teachers and improve learning” (p.137). A simple adjustment allows me to use the assessment process to its full potential.

When considering the impact new learning will have as a result of this course my thoughts go to the online learning / social collaboration section. I have learned through this course just how valuable a teaching and learning tool online collaboration can be. The integration of online collaboration tools such as blogs and wikis not only makes a lesson more interesting to my students but it also aids in accommodating different learning styles. This type of forum allows for many choices such as: video, audio, and text. In the week six media Vicki Davis mentions that students will gravitate towards certain types of expression based on their strengths. The options students are given is an important accommodating factor.

The importance of social networking was also evident in the collaborations I experienced with my classmates during this course. Their feedback and ideas for lessons have proven to be very valuable! For example: Susan Lorenzini uses a site to create online surveys for students and parents; (www.surveymonkey.com). I plan to use it in a similar way to evaluate my lessons effectiveness with students and communicate with parents.

My GAME plan has helped me to organize my goals and focus on specific areas of my lessons to make them more effective. One of the goals in my GAME plan focuses on Facilitating and Inspiring Student Learning and Creativity. An immediate adjustment to my instructional practices will be to incorporate an electronic portfolio project into the lesson plan to help achieve this goal. Barrett, and Garrett, (2009) refer to Portfolios as “a students own stories of what they know, why they believe they know it, and why others should be of the same opinion (p.2). This is an artifact students can be proud of and continue to add to each year during their time at the middle school.

References:
Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2010). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009).“Spotlight on Technology Social Networking and Online Collaboration, Part 1” [Educational video]. Baltimore: Author.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009).“Spotlight on Technology Social Networking and Online Collaboration, Part 2” [Educational video]. Baltimore: Author.

Online Personal Learning Environments: Structuring Electronic Portfolios for Lifelong and Life Wide Learning by Helen Barrett & Nathan Garrett - a work in progress in GoogleDocs (October 2007) Published in On the Horizon Vol. 17 No. 2, 2009, pp. 142-152, © Emerald Group Publishing Limited, ISSN 1074-8121 http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dd76m5s2_39fsmjdk

No comments:

Post a Comment